Travellers' Rest Stone
The Travellers’ Rest Stone was one of a number of rectangular sandstone blocks placed along the roadsides from Warrington ‘for the use of foot-travellers and itinerant agricultural labourers.’ They were reputed to be installed in the mid-nineteenth century by Dr Kendrick – a Warrington physician – who urged other philanthropic men of standing to follow his example.
This stone is dated 1859, was probaly placed near the cross-roads at the junction of Warrington Road (-originally the turnpike road) with Victoria Street and View Road. This was known as Kendricks Cross
In 1981, this stone was moved by Rainhill Civic Society from the driveway of the Ex-Services’ Club to a safe place near the War Memorial in Warrington Road.